Thursday, February 2, 2012

Architectural Elements & Influence

In going through my photographs in a search of images with an architectural element, for submission to the next issue of 1000 Words Magazine, I uncovered quite a rich variety of choices. I also became much more aware of what I am attracted to, what I notice, and what I am compelled to photograph, when it comes to things made by human hands.

 These photos all have an architectural element or influence, small or large:





Red Rust Keyhole
I love this ornate keyhole. It was on the door of a crypt at a cemetery...





Walkway
The rusted railing and the multi-textures of the concrete interested me.
I like the softening effect of the green bush as well. The black background is water...





Bridge II
I love these old fashioned street lamps, along with
the moss on the ornately detailed concrete bridge...






Based in Flowers
The contrast of living plants with human-made materials always
 interests me;  how they interact and compliment each other...






Lighted Stairway
Again, I love the relationship between the stairs and the lamp with the tree
that leans towards them. This spot has always seemed a haunting one to me.
I have been back several times...







Rust II
I love the bright green and orange tones here,
as well as the textural patterns of the rust, and the pattern of the pipes...






Wild Hearth
Another example of Nature taking back her own and creating beauty,
 even in the decay of human-made materials....






Living Flowers Room
A wide angle version of the same living room. You can really see how wind and weather
have broken down what used to be a home. It is still a home, only now it houses plant life and insects...






Beached
I posted this earlier this week, with my other snow images, but I think it fits here as well,
with the architectural theme.  Shot at twilight, this image has a haunting kind of quality to me...






Wrapping the Light
I love the way the branches are leaning in,
as if to warm themselves around the light





Pile Reflections IV
This one may be stretching my theme a bit thin, but these old
 pilings were once part of a dock or pier of some kind, and I love
their reflections here, on the water...






Macys Garage
I was intrigued to see a Macys shopping bag duct taped
to the door of this very old garage. Still wondering the purpose...






Fire Hydrant
Another image from one of my recent snow shoots. I would rather
see an old peeling fire hydrant with plenty of character and color
 than a shiny new one. Kind of eccentric that way, I guess...






Snow Block
The last of my snow shots to appear in this theme. I get lost in the
 interaction of snow, light, shadow, and textures here...






Young Girl Dreaming
Some would argue that this is statuary and not architectural, perhaps,
but I include her anyway, out of sheer love...





Trees & Steps
I love the interplay here between the lines of the stairs,
the vertical lines of the trees, and their shadows






Base II
One of several shots, as a study of architectural detail...







Base I
I like the way the corner of the base points down and left,
while the corner of the stone next to it points up and right.
One shaped by human hands, one shaped by Nature...






Base IV
Again, human-made and Nature-made reach out to touch and interact...






Sunset with Sentinels
Again, basic architectural elements stripped to their core by Nature.
I dearly love this image. It was my huge reward for waiting patiently
for the sun to emerge from a thick cloud-bank overhead just before setting.
Glorious.


I hope you have enjoyed these.

Blessings,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment