Thursday, October 18, 2012

Silhouettes, on the Water Pt 1

I have been interested in shooting silhouettes since I experimented with a motion study, after sunset at Golden Gardens Park, several months ago. That shoot consisted of silhouettes of people-in-motion: walking, skating, bicycling, running, etc along the park path. It struck me at the time that these silhouettes could be anyone. When photographing people, the universal interests me more, in a sense, than the individual. I was struck by the thought of universal humanity once again, as I observed this young man, sitting on the rocks several yards away from me. He could be any one of us.

We are so often drawn to the water for its soothing and hypnotic influence, especially during times of deep reflection, brooding, questioning, and the many nuances of thought and feeling for which we have no ready labels. Water is home to us. We are told by science that life originally emerged from the sea, just as each human child born into our world today emerges from the salty water of the womb. Our bodies, our brains, our blood, are all largely water based. We cannot survive long without water. It is the elixir of life, on our planet. Small wonder that water also gives us pleasure, solace, and balance. 

I have entitled the below images, "Thinking" and "Feeling" but these titles could be interchangeable, or they could be applicable-in-tandem, to both images. You decide... 


Thinking







Feeling



Blessings,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment