Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Polaroid Project

Recently, I had the opportunity to use  a Polaroid 350 Land Camera, with 100 ISO Fuji film, courtesy of Rare Medium, on Capitol Hill, in Seattle. The photography club I belong to, F-Stop, were provided with 6 different Polaroid cameras, by Cory at Rare Medium, along with a variety of films, for a two week period, during which we experimented with shooting in this classic format. A portion of our results are being published in an upcoming issue of 1000 Words Magazine. 


Polaroid 350 Land Camera


Shooting in the Polaroid format was a refreshing change, as well as a challenge. I was provided with one partial roll of film, and purchased an additional roll, which gave me about 18 shots total.  When you consider that there is no LCD screen in this purely analog camera, no attached light meter, no menu, no digital feedback whatsoever, and that control is limited to a sliding focus bar, a Lighten / Darken dial, your own knowledge and understanding of light, and the fact that Polaroids are extremely sensitive to contrasty lighting, it is easy to see what a challenge shooting Polaroids can be.


Shooting on a tripod is key. Plus, it looks so cool!


Since the 350 Land Camera does not automatically eject each shot, and you literally pull each image from the camera manually, you are free to shoot double or even, in my case, in one instance, triple exposures. I had a blast with this, and wish I could have played some more! Alas, the film is $16 per 10 exposure pack, or I would have loaded up with several rolls.


Film is pulled manually from the camera,  per frame,
allowing for double or even triple exposures. 


The kicker, with shooting Polaroids? You do not, of course, see the results of each shot for about 10 minutes, assuming you allow for optimum processing, while keeping each light sensitive photo frame in a pocket or case to protect it. So, the question I kept asking myself was, do I keep shooting, trusting that I got the shot I wanted and that the light I saw and interpreted is the light that will appear in the shot, or do I wait and look at my result from the first shot? I did both. I got great results and disappointing results, typical of any experimentation.

The most fun aspect of shooting with this camera, besides its cool appearance, with folding bellows, and people stopping me everywhere to ask what kind of camera I had, was being able to shoot double exposures, in camera; something I experimented with for several frames.  When it came time to return this camera, I did not want to let it go. In fact, I nearly cried. It was so much fun to be challenged to really think about and perceive light in a new way, or rather, in the "old fashioned" way. We are so used to digital cameras that give us instant feedback via sensors, meta data and LCD screens, as well as endless menu choices, not to mention the freedom afterwards to "Photoshop" whatever we do not like, that it was a major reality check to operate without any of that.

Check out my some of my results below. These Polaroid photographs are un-retouched, the only digital process was scanning them into digital files:



My attempt to shoot via candlelight, with floor lamps used for additional illumination.
Besides winding up with soft focus, I struggled to get enough light into the frame to register...
Candles III



My first attempt outdoors...
Flowering I


I love the statuary and crypt architecture in cemeteries, particularly old cemeteries, so I began again, with a trip to Evergreen Washelli, a few miles from where I live....



I have always admired this statue, atop a headstone...
Daydreaming



First attempt at double exposure. I really like this one...
Gazing I



Another double exposure with the veterans section of the cemetery
combined with a stand of trees. This one has my heart...
Dream No Small Dreams



Another eerie double exposure, this one of an angel from two sides.
O'Neill's Prayer



The next day, I went to Lakeview Cemetery, the oldest cemetery in Seattle to shoot more images, as well as Volunteer Park,  which are very close to each other, on Capitol Hill...



I began with this statue, which I have a soft spot for...
Reflection




She seems to be coming to meet you here. Another double exposure...
Walking



Again. And she turns, stepping into herself...
Turning



Party trick! A triple exposure. Two different angles of this statue, plus an extreme
 close up of her face, being out of the range of focus for the camera. I wanted to see
what sort of canvas the out of focus face would provide...
Nine Year Old Girl - Triple Exposure


A beautiful crypt, with flowering vines...
Austin A. Bell, RIP



Last double exposure, the crypt combined with a shot of the grass...
Sleeping and Growing



My very last Polaroid exposure, about 50 feet within the entrance to Volunteer Park...
Volunteer Park Entrance





Hope you have enjoyed looking at these as much as I enjoyed creating them! It is so refreshing to step outside of the ordinary, to challenge your perception, and to just play. Here is hoping that you, too, will get to experience these in a happy way!

Blessings,
Linda

1 comment:

  1. Don't know much of anything about photography, but sure enjoyed looking at your work.

    ReplyDelete