Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Documenting Dancers Pt 1

I have been working on a photography project that is related to some studio work I undertook last quarter. I have always loved dance, and photographing dancers. Last quarter I photographed three different dancers, in various costumes and performing various traditional dances and gestures, along with fusion. This quarter I have been following the members of Karoun Dance Ensemble from the point of view of documentary, or non-posed, journalistic photography. Karoun specializes in Classical Persian and Central Asian dance.

I began with my friend Karen Spiel, a lovely and graceful dancer. I followed her, with my camera, one afternoon and evening, from her first preparations at home to the end of her actual performances at the venue. Here are some samples of that journey:





Pepper Interrupts Dance Rehearsal
Karen's cat tried to rub against her legs while she
was rehearsing for her dance performance.
He finally walked away in disgust, when she
continued to dance.







Karen Applying Makeup
I wonder how many women would be this relaxed with a photographer
hovering over their shoulder as they put on their makeup?
I love the effect of six Karens in this shot, taken in her bathroom,
as she applied her stage makeup, for the show.





Karen's Hands Braiding
Closeup of Karen's hands, as she braids long, blond, hand-made
extensions into her hair. These are key for the Tajik, a traditional
dance from the Badakhshani region of Afghanistan.






Karen Putting on Earrings & Getting A Bite To Eat
After finishing her long braids and makeup,
Karen adds her jewelry and takes a break in her
kitchen, to "have some nibbles" before rehearing
 in her living room, once more.








Admiring Karen's Costume
Elham, another member of Karoun Dance Ensemble,
admires the colorful appliqués on Karen's Tajik costume.







You're On In 5 Minutes!
Karen quickly helps Janelle Bel Isle, the third member of Karoun,
attach and braid her hair extensions, for the Tajik dance. 








Karen and Janelle, triumphant at the close of their
first dance performance of the evening. Zamani
Culture House, in Bothell, WA.
The place was packed to the rafters!



This is a sampling of this project. I have many more shots to edit and prepare so that I can share them here.

In addition, I am now documenting Karoun Dance Ensemble as a whole: behind the scenes, during rehearsal, backstage, and on stage. I will present the final project in its entirety here, on this blog.

Thanks for your interest, and for visiting!

Blessings,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment